Flammable and Combustible Liquid Storage
• The storage of flammable and combustible liquids in a laboratory, shop or building area must be kept to the minimum needed for research and operations.
• When large quantities of flammable liquids are present in a laboratory, they must be stored in a flammable liquids storage cabinet.
• Flammable-liquids storage cabinets are not intended for the storage of highly toxic materials, acids, bases, compressed gases or pyrolytic chemicals.
Chemstore Flammable Liquid Storage Cabinets
• The Chemstore Flammable Liquid Storage Cabinets are designed for the safety storage of flammable liquid containers. These highly visible and durable yellow powder-coated cabinets features a red “Flammable – Keep Fire Away” warning on the front doors.
• These storage cabinet are constructed of double-walled, 18-gauge steel with 1 1/2″ inch (3.8 cm) insulating air barrier.
• Features include piano hinges, three-point lock with handle, dual vents with flash arrestors, 2-inch (5 cm) raised, leakproof door sill to contain spills and four levelling legs.
• Four brackets support each adjustable shelf.
Safety Practices for Flammable Liquid Storage Cabinet
• Do not store paper or cardboard or other combustible packaging material in a flammable liquid storage cabinet.
• Store only compatible materials inside a cabinet.
• No more than 60 gallons (227 litres) of Class 1 flammable liquids (flash point below 100°F) or Class II combustible liquids (flash point between 100°F to 140°F) may be stored in a flammable liquid storage cabinet.
• No more than 120 gallons (454 litres) of Class III combustible liquids (flash point between 140°F to 200°F) may be stored in a flammable liquid storage cabinet.
• Not recommended for storage of phenol, nitric acid or sulfuric acid.
Advantages of Flammable Liquid Cabinets
• Better control of flammables, thus eliminating the problem of careless open storage of small container.
• Offers a safe means of storage over a short period of time. This is a safe method of storage by locating cabinets in, or adjacent to work areas. It reduces the frequency of trips to the drum storage or dispensing facility.